Sunday, March 6, 2011

La Volta in Raleigh

A few friends and I met for dinner last night at La Volta (http://lavoltarestaurant.com/), an Italian restaurant on Fayetteville Street in downtown Raleigh.  Unassuming from the street, La Volta opens up into two distinct dining areas (plus a private dining room) and a small bar area, and has a casual feel throughout based on the open floor plan and lighting (which is not subdued like other traditional Italian places).  Our server was new, which may have led to a few issues (I'm not sure what he based recommendations on and he could have been slightly more helpful with questions), but overall, it didn't really impact the meal at all.

For starters, we ordered house-made meatballs, fried calamari, and the antipasto platter.  I did not try the meatballs, but I did use the marinara sauce to dish the complimentary focaccia in, and that combination was wonderful.  The fried calamari was good, but nothing truly out of the ordinary.  It was crispy and not really greasy, but could have used a bit more seasoning and also something to make it stand out a bit more from the standard version.  The antipasto platter was quite tasty; the prosciutto and salami were delicious, as were the fresh mozzarella and provolone.  I did not try the various peppers, artichokes, and olives, but the rest of the table seemed to enjoy them.  All in all, the appetizers and bread were all flavorful and well-prepared; nothing stood out as amazing to me but everything was worth ordering again.

For dinner, I was able to sample a  bite each of the veal saltimbocca and chicken marsala (both matched the traditioinal Italian preparations and carried good flavor) while I myself ordered the pappardelle alfredo.  Typically served with fettucine, this version of pasta alfredo used broad egg noodles instead, which were easier to eat and still held the sauce well.  I thought the alfredo sauce was delicious; it had the typical flavor I look for (which is not always the case, as too often cream dominates over the cheese and garlic) without being too heavy.  In hindsight, I should have asked to add chicken or shrimp (maybe the waiter could have suggested this) but I was pleased and still full before finishing my entire plate.

Overall, La Volta does a good job preparing classic Italian dishes with good flavorful, solid portions, and reasonable prices.  The location downtown is convenient for those wishing to head out afterwards, and most tables can see the areas surrounding Fayetteville Street, making people-watching enjoyable.  I am sure there are better Italian places in the Triangle (Il Palio for one) that put their own spin on typical dishes (often for a higher price), I think you could do far worse than making reservations and sitting down for a nice dinner at La Volta.

No comments:

Post a Comment