Monday, June 27, 2011

Which Wich in Brier Creek


Jessica and I tried the new sandwich shop Which Wich (http://www.whichwich.com/) in Brier Creek this past weekend.  Which Wich is a chain that exists a few other places in Raleigh (Lake Boone Trail and North Hills) and other places throughout the country.  I suppose its competition are places like Subway, Jersey Mikes, and Quiznos, although Which Wich has far more variety in their sandwich options, and a simpler ordering system.

Entering the shop, you can pick up a brown paper bag that you "fill out" to order your sandwich.  They feature over fifty sandwiches with too many customization options to count (selecting bread, cheese, extra meats, three different types of onions, etc.) and three sizes.  Options range from the standard deli choices to a variety of chicken, Italian, vegetarian, and even seafood selections.

For our visit, I went with their Grinder, which is comprised of pepperoni, salami, and capicola to which I added provolone cheese and had toasted.  I'll get the one minor complaint out of the way... there was little to any cheese on the sub, so next time I suppose I'll order "extra" to see whether that's how they serve it or whether it was a bad day (the place was still new and working out plenty of kinks).  I actually tried to add crispy onion strings for no real reason, which they didn't have, so they gave me two free chocolate chip cookies (one for me, one for Jessica), which were "toasted" and delicious.

The Grinder
Anyway, those minor inconveniences barely registered to me as the meats packed so much flavor I was blown away.  Each bite was filled with the Italian flavors I hoped for when I made the order; the spice of the meats and the deep flavor really surpassed any realistic expectation I had, having dined at the other chain sandwich shops during my lifetime.  As I said earlier, the lack of cheese was almost unnoticeable with the great cuts of meat, but I can only imagine the EXTRA pleasure of a melted, creamy provolone added on top of the already terrific sandwich.

Both Jessica and I instantly put Which Wich ahead of the more traditional sandwich chains in the area.  I am already itching to go back to try one of the many other choices I turned down on my first visit (meatball, chicken marinara, and cheese steak being three).  While you may have a favorite chain for sandwiches and quick meals, I can't recommend enough finding the Which Wich closest to you and sampling what is simply the best variety of ingredients, preparations, and flavors I've found.

1 comment:

  1. Love Whichwich--we've been enjoying the one off Lake Boone trail for the last six months.

    ReplyDelete