Saturday, February 12, 2011

Clayton Lunch Spots: Part II

I realized, through the help of friends and my own further thoughts, that I missed a few places in my first set of reviews, so here are the other places I'd include in my comprehensive list of Clayton lunch spots!

Skylines Cafe, located in the strip mall on Highway 70 just west of Talecris, is another really good place to have a nice lunch.  Their burger is one of the best I've had in the area, and the accompanying homemade chips are equally tasty.  I've started going with their grilled cheese (adding bacon of course) as an alternative lunch, and they cook it perfectly, with a buttery crunchy bread and thoroughly melted cheese.  The rest of the menu includes sandwiches, salads, and even pasta dishes, all of which sound good on the menu and look good coming out of the kitchen.  The only real downside here is the time it can take to get through your meal; I wouldn't recommend coming without having a full hour to spend.

If you're in the mood for hibachi (or sushi for that matter), you can choose between Kobe (across Highway 70 from Walmart) and Bonsai (across from Clayton High school).  I've tried sushi at both and find them adequate; nothing amazing but, for small local places, good enough for lunch.  I've only tried the hibachi at Kobe, and it is extremely satisfying every time!  The steak / chicken combination is packed with flavor, and is served with ample fried rice and vegetables.  The cost may be a bit high for lunch, but I think you get well worth your money.  Now for the downside... I could do without the over-interaction with the chefs while they cook.  I realize some of that is show, and I appreciate it, but I've had experience where the chef won't stop talking.  Also, on one visit, let's just say the "cleanliness" of the grill was compromised, leaving a bad taste in people's mouths.

For those who want pounds and pounds of serviceable Chinese food, I'd recommend the Super China Buffet next to Walmart on Highway 70.  The buffet line is fairly typical... Chinese classics coupled with a few American options (including surprisingly delicious fried shrimp).  Their food hangs in pretty well for being made in mass quantities and laid out in hotel pans.  I find the chicken dishes to be particularly flavorful, with my favorite being the sesame version.  If you're looking for something specific (and super well-prepared), I'd probably find another restaurant, or avoid the buffet, but if you just want to sample a lot of different flavors, this is your place.

If you want to visit a Clayton institution, try Jones Cafe on Main Street in downtown.  I suppose they specialize in red hot dogs, which most everyone (except me) loves and feels they do the best!  I've always been really pleased with their hamburgers and crinkle cut fries, which they make super crispy, something I normally can't find with such a potato-ey style.  I probably am not the best to appreciate everything that they do, but I'm always happy with my lunch and so are my co-workers.

If you missed the first round of reviews, check them out here...

No comments:

Post a Comment