Monday, February 28, 2011

Robbin's Nest in Selma

One of the favorite lunch places for Talecris people in Clayton is the Robbin's Nest (http://www.robbinsnestrestaurant.com/) in Selma, NC near where 70 and 95 intersect.  Robbin's Nest is a restaurant specializing in home-cooked Southern food, featuring both a buffet and the made-to-order items from their menu.  The restaurant itself is quite large and always filled with a local crowd, getting terrific food at quite affordable prices.

I've been to the Robbin's Nest twice for lunch, and participated in the buffet on both occasions.  I'll only focus on the items I've eaten (there is a great deal I haven't tried because I'm not into vegetables or some of the more "Southern" specialties), but everything I've had and everything I've heard about the other offerings has been very good.  Below are the foods I've tried and a little comment about each:

Chicken pastry (which may or may not still be offered daily) - This was my first, and possibly best, experience with this Southern classic.  The chicken flavor is strong and the pastry, which is basically broad, thick noodles, was sound and flavorful.  On the buffet line, this was served as a soupy consistency, but I easily removed some of the liquid and thoroughly enjoyed the result.

Fried chicken - Robbin's Nest makes some of the better fried chicken I've had; the batter is flavorful and extremely crisp and the chicken is moist without being greasy.  I frequently only like the skin / batter of fried chicken and avoid the actual meat but here, I will eat everything down to the bone.  As a bonus, the chicken is frequently stacked high as they keep bringing out freshly fried product for the buffet, leaving the customer the ability to always pick their favorite pieces.

Fried shrimp - The popcorn shrimp on the buffet line are tasty and crunchy, although they seem to be a bit on the greasy side (particularly at the bottom of the trays).  I could eat probably two pounds of these shrimp, but ultimately, there's nothing TOO special about them.

Fried baby flounder - This is the single best item I've had here, at least when finding a piece of pure white fish.  The flavor is amazing and the breading is just right; crunchy but not overpowering.  My only complaint with the flounder is that some of the pieces can have a slight fishy flavor when the skin isn't perfectly removed (still good, but not the cream of the crop for the buffet line).

BBQ - The pork BBQ here is actually quite good but overshadowed by the other items on the buffet line that aren't as common in lunch restaurants.  I would have no problem eating mounds of this pork or several BBQ sandwiches, but when given the choice between some of the other items and this, I normally choose the others.

Sides dishes - All that I've tried have been great, with the mashed potatoes being truly great.

For anyone who loves Southern cooking, or who wants to experience it in the most authentic way possibly, I'd highly recommend the Robbin's Nest.  You can try several regional specialties at an affordable price and take in the local culture, all in one sitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment