Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lucky Chicken in Clayton

For lunch today, my co-workers and I paid a return visit to the Lucky Chicken in Clayton, which was recently rated as the best Latin American (Peruvian in this case) restaurant in the Triangle. 

The meal starts with dried roasted corn (think just barely popped popcorn but larger kernels) sprinkled with salt.  It's a nice beginning to the meal, but I find that bites without enough salt taste mostly of the overly nutty kernel shell rather than corn.  For lunch, I've tried their "Lucky Chicken" as well as a dish similar to fried rice with beef, chicken, and shrimp.  In both cases, the portions were EXTREMELY generous and probably offered at least two full meals rather than one.  The chicken special is basically a rotisserie chicken (either full, half, or a quarter) with Peruvian spices.  The meat is very moist and flavorful and the spice blend is unique, but I'd ultimately characterize the dish as a "good" version of something that is common across all cultures.  The fried rice dish was similar to an Asian hibachi offering, although without the soy sauce (replaced by a spicy creamy sauce that the customer can use as needed).  Again, the flavors go together well and everything is cooked properly, but I wouldn't lavish praise above "good" here.

Overall, the Lucky Chicken is two-for-two in providing tasty, good lunch dishes that can probably serve lunch the next day.  I have not seen or tasted anything that would give me the impression it belongs in the running for best Latin American restaurant around, although I'll probably keep looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment