Monday, February 21, 2011

Homemade fast food: Chicken Fingers

One somewhat pathetic way I have to feel like I'm eating slightly healthier is by making my own "fast food" dinners rather than getting them out.  Now I understand that fried chicken is fried chicken, but I believe that preparing the dish myself, starting with the basic ingredients and most importantly frying in hot oil to avoid the grease soaking into the chicken, keeps it fresh and less terrible for my body!

Homemade chicken fingers
Tonight I made the aforementioned chicken fingers, so I thought I'd give the quick recipe and show the finished product.  First, get the frying oil heated up between 375 and 400 degrees (I typically use my deep fryer but actually think a cast iron skillet provides a more crunchy crust).  With the oil heating, cut a chicken breast or two into thin strips similar to what you'd be served at KFC.  Prepare your own seasoned flour by adding salt, pepper, and garlic salt.  I have found that the amounts of each are personal preference, so always use the same amount of flour and you can up or back off amounts to find the right mix.  Once the flour is seasoned, coat the cut chicken.  I then dunk in milk, coat again in flour, dunk in milk again, and then give the final flour coating to the chicken before frying.  With fully defrosted chicken, the frying process should be about 4 minutes long, maybe a bit shorter.  It is critical not to overcook, because the oil will begin to soak into the chicken and the breaded and give you a TERRIBLE final product.  Cooked to the right degree, though, you'll have crispy, tender chicken fingers from only a few ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment